06.23.08

ActionScript Error 1136: Incorrect number of arguments. Expected 1.

Posted in Error, Error, errors, Flash, Flex at 9:09 pm by Curtis J. Morley

1136: Incorrect number of arguments.  Expected 1.

ActionScript 3 Error #1136 Description:
This is a generic yet simple ActionScript Error.  It just means that you need one and only one argument in the method you are calling.  This error will pop up in many cases but I will only provide one code example. It should help you get through this fairly easily.

Flex / Flash Error 1136 Fix:
Add the applicable argument/parameter into the parenthesis.

Bad Code:

newempty1.removeChild();

Good Code:

newempty1.removeChild(pic1);

This should help you resolve Flex / Flash Error #1136

Thanks and as always Happy Flashing

Curtis J. Morley

6 Comments »

1. Michael Sutton said,

July 20, 2008 at 9:23 am

Speaking of Error #1136… I don’t understand why it pops up on the very first line of my script:

var gameTimer: Timer = new Timer (3000, 26);

telling me it’s expecting 0 arguments!

I get no problems with a test file that eliminates everything but by timer code… declarations, function, etc. It works fine, does exactly what I want, no error messages. But when copied and pasted back into the main script, there’s that error message on the variable declaration!

P.S. There are no other Timer objects declared in the script.

2. Thomas P. Davenport said,

September 23, 2008 at 3:46 pm

I’m sitting here struggling with this error coming from a Timer declaration, working on a project for an ActionScript class, and I think you should try taking the arguments out of that declaration. Look into the gameTimer.delay, .repeatCount, & .start() commands. You might find them helpful 🙂

3. curtismorley.com » ActionScript Error 1047: Parameter initializer unknown or is not a compile-time constant. said,

October 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm

[…] You also want to call this same function without the event. Unless you pass a value in you will get AS3 Error 1136.  AS3 allows you to set the Event parameter to null and therefore accept a call to that function […]

4. Flash Duniya said,

February 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Is there any code for call this kind of functionality?

function display(n:String) {

5. Vijay Anand Mareddy said,

December 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm

try this function display(n:String = null) { }

6. Beno said,

October 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hi;

I have this statement in an *.as file:

import Slideshow;

I have this later:

Slideshow();

Slideshow(), for test, has the following code:

package
    {
    import flash.display.MovieClip;

public class Slideshow extends MovieClip {

public function Slideshow() {
    }
    }
    }

I get the following error:

E:\DeJongh\DeJonghMain.as, Line 84 1136: Incorrect number of arguments. Expected 1.

What argument, pray tell, could it possibly be expecting??

TIA.